• Baraha Pokhari, Trekking to God’ s Garden

    Reporter: HousingNepal.com
    Published:
    A- A+
    "I've never seen so many colours of rhododendrons at one place anywhere else"

    My hike to Baraha Pokhari last year had me spellbound by the sheer natural beauty of the place. A beautiful lake nestled amidst lush greenery at an altitude of more than 3,100 metres, Baraha Pokhari is surrounded by huge mountains -Himalchuli, Boudha Himal, Manaslu, Annapurna and even Machhapuchhre. With different coloured rhododendron trees in the vicinity, it is an ideal spot for a retreat, contemplation and meditation. The reflection of mountains and trees on its pristine waters had me mesmerised and instilled a deep connection with nature. The nearby Baraha temple adds to the religious significance of the place, especially for Hindus and Bon religion followers.

    An annul fair is organised here on the occasion of Baishak Purnima (Nepali New Year, which falls around mid-April), when locals take on this challenging trek to make offerings to the goddess of Baraha temple and to take a dip in the lake, which is believed to fulfil wishes and heal aliments. I revisited the lake on Baisakh Purnima this year with memories from last year’s trek still fresh in my mind.

    After trekking for 14 hours from Phaliyasangu, we reached Baraha Pokhari
    around 10:30 pm, completely exhausted. But the place was lively with music, chants and people praying -making the place seem like something out of this world. If you're thinking of trekking to Baraha Pokhari, heed my advice and don't try to do it in one day, like we did. Take the trek over two days -you'll enjoy it more! We pitched our tents in the dark near the edge of the lake and straightaway hit the sack. But the singing and dancing continued way into the night and so, it wasn't the most peaceful environment. The following morn ing, I woke up and saw the lake was as beautiful as it was the last time I was there.

    But to my disappointment, the sky was overcast. Thick fog had engulfed the whole place, blocking the view of the mountains. Dejected, I retreated to my tent and prayed to the godess Baraha for good weather.

    I guess the goddess was listening, because when I peeked out again after some time, the fog had disappeared and the visibility was much better. I could see the lake, pilgrims queuing up, women in red saris — a photography opportunity that I couldn’t pass up! The good weather lasted for a few minutes and I made the best of it.

    It was enough for me to soak in the beauty of this place and capture its magical moments forever through my lens.

    Unexplored Potential 
    Baraha Pokhari, with its striking natural beauty, religious and cultural importance, has huge potential as a major short trek destination. Though much of Nepal's trekking routes have been cut short with the expansion of road networks, the same might not be possi ble here due to the challenging terrain of this trail. So, lace your boots, pack your bags and head to Phaliyasangu in Lamjung for a trek to a place that I call `God's Garden'. -Devendra Babu Tiwari (The author is a tourism entrepreneur from Lamjung who, besides promoting Lamjung as a tourist destination, also promotes eco-tourism and perma-culture in the region)

    Source: The Himalayan Times, Oct 24 2013
    Photo Courtesy :  The Himalayan Times, Oct 24 2013

    Subjects: